Central Intelligence Agency chief: No indication of imminent nuclear war with N. Korea

18 August, 2017, 00:22 | Author: Ora Austin
  • US President Donald Trump left and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are shown on a television report in South Korea

Dunford says he wants to underscore the United States' "ironclad commitment" to its alliance with Seoul and Tokyo.

But he stressed that the U.S.is pursuing "a very determined diplomatic effort" led by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson that's coupled with new financial sanctions to dissuade North Korean leader Kim Jong Un from further provocations.

North Korea said Tuesday that leader Kim Jong Un was briefed on his military's plans to launch missiles in waters near Guam days after the Korean People's Army announced its preparing to create "enveloping fire" near the USA military hub in the Pacific.

Mr Pompeo said "there's nothing imminent today", in response to a question about how anxious people should be over the escalating tensions.

Regional tensions have been soaring after US President Donald Trump warned that North Korea would "truly regret" any hostile action against America.

He said the United States was prepared militarily to deal with North Korea if necessary.

Kim also urged the United States to "show through actions if they wish to ease tensions on the Korean peninsula and prevent a risky military clash", according to the KCNA report.

Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (DKS) Downgraded to "Neutral" at MKM Partners
Like many other retailers, Dicks has had a lackluster 2017, with the stock down 34% year to date, excluding Tuesday's move. It improved, as 49 investors sold DKS shares while 136 reduced holdings. 21 funds opened positions while 54 raised stakes.

The US and North Korea have been locked in a war of words after Pyongyang threatened recently to fire ballistic missiles over Japan towards the US Pacific island of Guam. The North Korean People's Army pushed back saying preparations were underway to launch a missile over Japan to land near the USA territory of Guam.

Trump has pushed China to pressure North Korea to halt a nuclear weapons program that is nearing the capability of targeting the United States.

The White House said in a statement that Trump and Xi "agreed North Korea must stop its provocative and escalatory behavior".

President Donald Trump told Guam's governor Saturday morning that the US territory is "not going to have a problem" and its people are safe.

Mr Kim was seen holding a baton and pointing at a map reading "Strategic Force's Firing Strike Plan", which showed a flight path for the missiles appearing to start from North Korea's east coast, then flying over Japan and ending near Guam, as Pyongyang announced last week.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., welcomed Trump's pugnacious approach, arguing that numerous president's critics failed to stop North Korea from developing a nuclear weapon that could hit the United States. "This is what you're seeing the president do, is bring together all nations, ll nations to bear on this problem", McMaster told ABC News.

Recommended:



Popular

Trump's Endorsement Of The Confederacy Just Lost Him America's Unions!
Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council, he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!

Satellite Images Spot Possible Floating Debris from Missing MH370 Crash
An explosive new report may have pinpointed the location of the missing flight MH370, which disappeared in 2014. The foreword of the CSIRO's report said: "This work is dedicated to the 239 people aboard flight MH370".

Opposition Leader Odinga Draws Crowd in Violence-Hit Nairobi Neighborhood
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein said Tuesday that the government has the responsibility to ensure that security forces exercise restraint. Kenya police claim that 10 people have been killed and said almost all were committing crimes.

German growth rises at fastest pace in three years
On Tuesday, it was 0.4% in early trade against the dollar and was down 0.3% versus the pound. In the second quarter, growth was driven by domestic demand, the statistics office said.

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott appeals 6-game suspension
Elliott has not spoken to the media since the ban but on Twitter said he was " surprised and disappointed " by the NFL's decision. He also said he was "sincerely sorry" for the distraction and disruption he has caused for the Cowboys and his family.